Skip to main content

The First Step

jumping-dog.jpg
Source: jumpintheair.com


Here it goes.  I'm jumping in.

Next week marks the "official" start of my tenure as the Lead Learner at Check Elementary School. Although I have been the principal there since July, it will become real when I stand before the faculty on Tuesday.

When I completed my Ed Leadership studies, I never planned on becoming a school leader.  In fact, each class I completed only cemented my belief that being a middle school social studies teacher was the best job ever.

Fast forward four years and I still fondly reminisce about my classroom days. But now I have fond memories of many classrooms.  I have an opportunity to mold the minds of students and adults alike. Is there any other job that is more exciting and terrifying at the same time?

I can't wait.

I'm also jumping into blogging.  Social media has had an immeasurable impact on my journey as a leader.  Since joining Twitter in May of 2012, I have had the pleasure of building one of the greatest PLNs in existence.

But they are also kind of scary.

I have been paralyzed by my fear of not having as much "greatness" to share with the blogging world as they do.

But today I am jumping in and I hope that I can be as inspiring to the faculty at Check Elementary and the members of my PLN as they have all been to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Well-Balanced Teacher

Welcome to our virtual book study of Mike Anderson's, The Well-Balanced Teacher .  As the end of the year craziness sets in, this book will be a nice way to keep us focused on working smarter as well as finishing up our staff development for 2015-2016. Each reading selection will have a discussion question as well as suggestions for activities you can try.  To earn the hour of staff development you should a) read the selection and b) comment on the post below with your thoughts on the discussion question or results from one of the suggested activities. Chapters 1-2 Discussion How would your students benefit from an improvement in your physical or emotional health? Chapters 1-2 Suggested Activities For two weeks, keep a log of everything you eat and drink. (See a sample day from my own food log below.) Examine your results. What's one way you could make your diet a little healthier? Make a meal plan for your upcoming week. Actually record the meals and snacks yo...

WBT Chapter 3: Belonging

Excellent discussion on the first two chapters of the book.  We will try to post every Monday, giving you one week to read and respond.  Remember to add your name so that you can receive credit! Discussion/Reflection Questions: What is the collegial atmosphere of your school like? What's your personal sense of belonging like at your school? How has that changed over time? How connected are you with administration? If it could be better, what would that look, sound, and feel like? What are some ways that could happen? How well do teachers connect with students at your school? How well do you know your students? How do you balance knowing your students and making positive connections with keeping a professional working relationship with them? How well do you know the families of your students? How well do they know you? How can connecting with families help your students learn more? What kinds of connections do you have with the educational community beyond your class...

TLAP Book Study

Thank you for venturing into the digital world for our book study!  After reading pages 33-71, take a moment to reflect on the questions below.*  Comment on the post with your answer to one, two, or all of the questions - even add to a comment by a colleague!   "I can't do that.  I'm not as creative as you are."  Dave Burgess suggests that creativity is calculated and learned.  Is he right? What are the "right questions" we should be asking ourselves when lesson planning?  Ex. Can this lesson be delivered outside? Have you developed a system to capture your creative ideas?  Digital, pen and paper? What is your ideal classroom vision? What can you do THIS WEEK that will set that vision in motion? Do you have any lessons that you could sell tickets for?   "If you do nothing else but ramp up your enthusiasm, you will be far ahead of the game." How can your enthusiasm transform the class? "When we model enthusiasm it rubs off on everyone...